Thursday, November 22, 2012

  'I must make light of it


  'I must make light of it, or the boys will break down, and then therewill be a panic. Why afflict and frighten everyone when all is indoubt? I won't. I'll take Rob to Dr Morrison at once, and have thedog man see Don. Then, having done all we can, we will either laughat our scare--if it is one--or be ready for whatever comes. Now formy poor boy.'

  Armed with the red-hot poker, a pitcher of ice-water, and severalhandkerchiefs from the clotheshorse, Nan went back to the barn readyto do her best in this her most serious 'emergency case'. The boyssat like statues, one of despair, the other of resignation; and ittook all Nan's boasted nerve to do her work quickly and well.

  'Now, Rob, only a minute, then we are safe. Stand by, Ted; he may bea bit faintish.'

  Rob shut his eyes, clinched his hands, and sat like a hero. Ted kneltbeside him, white as a sheet, and as weak as a girl; for the pangs ofremorse were rending him, and his heart failed at the thought of allthis pain because of his wilfulness. It was all over in a moment,with only one little groan; but when Nan looked to her assistant tohand the water, poor Ted needed it the most, for he had fainted away,and lay on the floor in a pathetic heap of arms and legs.

  Rob laughed, and, cheered by that unexpected sound, Nan bound up thewound with hands that never trembled, though great drops stood on herforehead; and she shared the water with patient number one before sheturned to patient number two. Ted was much ashamed, and quite brokenin spirit, when he found how he had failed at the critical moment,and begged them not to tell, as he really could not help it; then byway of finishing his utter humiliation, a burst of hysterical tearsdisgraced his manly soul, and did him a world of good.

  'Never mind, never mind, we are all right now, and no one need be thewiser,' said Nan briskly, as poor Ted hiccoughed on Rob's shoulder,laughing and crying in the most tempestuous manner, while his brothersoothed him, and the young doctor fanned both with Silas's old strawhat.

  'Now, boys, listen to me and remember what I say. We won't alarmanyone yet, for I've made up my mind our scare is all nonsense. Donwas out lapping the water as I came by, and I don't believe he's madany more than I am. Still, to ease our minds and compose our spirits,and get our guilty faces out of sight for a while, I think we hadbetter drive into town to my old friend Dr Morrison, and let him justtake a look at my work, and give us some quieting little dose; for weare all rather shaken by this flurry. Sit still, Rob; and Ted, youharness up while I run and get my hat and tell Aunty to excuse me toDaisy. I don't know those Penniman girls, and she will be glad of ourroom at tea, and we'll have a cosy bite at my house, and come home asgay as larks.'

  Nan talked on as a vent for the hidden emotions which professionalpride would not allow her to show, and the boys approved her plan atonce; for action is always easier than quiet waiting. Ted wentstaggering away to wash his face at the pump, and rub some colourinto his cheeks before he harnessed the horse. Rob lay tranquilly onthe hay, looking up at the swallows again as he lived through somevery memorable moments. Boy as he was, the thought of death comingsuddenly to him, and in this way, might well make him sober; for itis a very solemn thing to be arrested in the midst of busy life bythe possibility of the great change. There were no sins to berepented of, few faults, and many happy, dutiful years to rememberwith infinite comfort. So Rob had no fears to daunt him, no regretsto sadden, and best of all, a very strong and simple piety to sustainand cheer him.

No comments:

Post a Comment